I will not name names but some people woke up on the first day of summer with the grumps.
Like big time grumps.
Then they tried to do all the summer activities in the first hour.
There was sass. And arguments. And tattling. And meltdowns.
And momma about lost her mind!!!
Needless to say it wasn't the best start.
We salvaged the day with a trip to the library and SAMs club. Getting out of the house did everyone good.
When I finally sat down at 10:15pm Tim and I decided a routine and some expectations were needed.
Part of it was just needing to settle into summer and the other was needing a little structure.
I came up with "the daily 5"
1. Eat breakfast. They need to eat lunch too but they never seem to skip that. However sometimes they won't eat breakfast and will be super hungry and crabby at say 10:00. Starting off our days with a good breakfast is always important even in the summer.
2. Brush Teeth. Because I really don't care if they want to wear pjs all day but I do care about bad breath.
3. School Work and Read. Our goal is 60-90 minutes per day. They have been doing great! They have to do this before TV or electronics.
4. Chores. They have daily chores to complete plus anything else I need help with. This is the same during the school year.
5. Play. Plenty of playing and getting moving.
And Rest. That was mainly for mags and Jake. For the big girls rest time is often reading time. But some days they do rest or nap like yesterday after the pool.
So we have been summer breaking for a week now and I do believe this has helped. Plus we have had swimming lessons. And they have just settled in a bit. That first day freedom had them a little worked up!


No comments:
Post a Comment