Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thankful Thursday

It's November, so in the spirit of Thanksgiving....I bring you Thankful Thursday:)

This week I am Thankful for....My Parents and My Grandparents.

Among many reasons this is why....

In my Health classes, we are currently in the Substance Abuse Unit. This isn't my favorite unit....while extremely important it is also sad and depressing. It wears on me emotionally to teach this unit. This week I watched the video, "The Truth About Drugs" six times with my 6th graders (and watched a different video on Addiction and the Brain six times with my 7th graders). The TTAD is not easy to watch, it shows the truth....several true stories of teens dying of drug overdose, a haunting 911 call where a teen dies after using inhalants, and it also shows newborn babies going through cocaine withdrawals. I have yet to watch this video and keep a dry eye (after this week I have seen the video 18 times...it still gets me). It makes me so sad to see what drugs did to all those lives...it is just heartbreaking.

Which brings me back to what I am thankful for...My Parents and Grandparents. I am thankful that my parents were raised by my grandparents to make healthy choices and chose to stay drug free. I am thankful my parents raised me in a household free from drug abuse. I am thankful my parents instilled the values and beliefs in me that kept me drug free. I am thankful for the example and guidance they provide. And I pray we are doing all those same things in our house to keep our children drug free.

Be Thankful:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS