Sunday, October 17, 2010

Half Marathon

Here are the numbers:
3 Runners (Emily, Becca and I)
13.1 miles
1 hour 54 minutes

I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I have always been a "runner" and have ran numerous 5Ks...but this is just different. Such an amazing, cool, awesome experience and by the way we rocked it!

We got out really well at the beginning and instead of being slow like we were afraid of we ran about a 7:40 first mile! The start was good for me...but it wasn't until about mile 6 that I felt like I was running strong. After that it all just started to click...nothing was stopping me! We ran about an 8 minute pace the first 8 miles...some miles were a little over, some a little under. At mile 8 Becca started to have some calf cramping. So we slowed to an 8:20 pace and she kept going. It still kept getting worse and we kept dragging her along....not really slowing down much. At mile 11 it got really bad so she stopped to stretch. Once we got going again that is when I started to feel it. I think I said "I just remembered I have a booty back there that I have been dragging along for 11 miles" I started to cramp alittle in my legs and behind. It did get better...Becca's calf did not. With about 3/4 of a mile to go she said she had to stop...she was going to get sick. So we stopped and unfortunately the pain was just too much...she tossed her cookies. She told us to go on and we felt like we could leave her, we were so close to the finish line. Emily and I finished in a time of 1:54. Becca pulled herself together and came in under 2 hours! We all met our goals!

Will I run another? You bet! I enjoyed all of it...the training and the race. It was just so cool!

Things we learned:
1. On a cold day a garbage bag could be your best friend! Keep you warm and easy to throw away!
2. The GU gel packs.....not so good. May have given me the energy I needed to finish...but didn't taste so yummy and kinda hurt my tummy!
3. We (I) can do it! I got really nervous on Saturday....kind of doubted if I could actually make it through. I was lucky to run with my sister and my friend they really supported me through it all and made it the awesome experience it was. Could not have done this alone!

An experience like this reminds me how blessed  I am to be able to go out and run on a beautiful Sunday morning.  God is good...all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS